Awakening: The Prequel To Charlotte (The Charlotte Chronicles Book 2) by Stuart Keane

Awakening: The Prequel To Charlotte (The Charlotte Chronicles Book 2) - Stuart Keane

I always hesitate when giving a rating for books with this kind of subject matter. I always feel that if I give it a high rating, I am somehow condoning or praising the contents. It's really weird, but that's how it is.

This one was brutal. I have read many accounts of child abuse books before, some based on true events and some fictional. This one is fictional, but no less shocking, because you know that this stuff happens in real life and it is all the more gut-wrenching because of it.

Despite the subject matter, it was engrossing and one can't help but to continue reading, hoping for something, anything, that would deliver this child and give her some ray of light in her otherwise miserable life. It will make you angry, make you cry, and wish you could exact some form of vengeance on her behalf. It is because of this that I give it 4 stars. That it can affect me and make me feel for this character tells me that the author has done his job.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.