Wolf Road by Beth Lewis

The Wolf Road: A Novel - Beth Lewis

"True Grit meets The Road in this post-apocalyptic psychological thriller--narrated by a young girl who has just learned that her adopted father may be a serial killer, and that she may be his next victim."

Something about this one really grabbed me and wouldn't let go, so I ended up reading it in two sittings.

I loved the way it was written, and although the voice took a bit of getting used too, I thought it worked well, as you got to see the way Elka thought, her personality and the way she was brought up. There were some witty comments or thoughts by her that made me smile, such as,

"Smell bacon. Ain't nothing in this world like it. Salt-cured, sliced thick, line a'juicy fat crisping up in a pan. Anyone what tells you they don't like bacon is either stupid or lying. Either way that ain't no one you could trust."

I would have loved to learn more about the post-apocalyptic world she grew up in. You get bits and pieces, but not enough. If it wasn't for these tidbits of information, I would have thought I was reading some kind of western novel.

Anyway, the story captivated me as you follow Elka through her journey, trying to stay one step ahead of her serial killing "father" and her personal demons that she will soon have to confront.

I will definitely keep my eye on this author in the future.

4 stars.