The Conqueror's Wife by Stephanie Thornton

— feeling big smile
The Conqueror's Wife: A Novel of Alexander the Great - Stephanie Thornton

I've been a big fan of this author's work ever since I read, "A Secret History: A Novel of Empress Theodora". She has the ability to pull you right into a story and makes you feel as if you were a part of the unfolding drama.

This a the story of Alexander the Great told from the differing perspectives of a couple of characters in his life. There is Hephaestion- his close friend, warrior, and occasional lover; Roxanne- his first wife who will do anything in her power to stay that way; Drypetis- the captured daughter of King Darius; and Thessalonike- Alexander's fierce half sister. Each viewpoint shows a different side of Alexander so that as a whole, we can fully appreciate who he was and the many people who made him such a mighty conqueror. Stephanie has done a fantastic job in immersing us into that time, especially with her attention to the historical records/ details of that period.

Alexander Alexander (movie) Alexander the Great Colin Farrell ancient

I highly recommend this book, and all of her books, to the historical fiction fans out there and to others who want to try a genre outside of their comfort zone. This one will be one of my top picks of the year.

5 stars