The Heretic's Daughter by L.M. Blyth

— feeling happy
The Heretic's Daughter - Lanna Blyth

This story begins from the time Ahkenaten's rise with his worship of the one god, Aten, and the building of his city of Ahketaten, and concludes with the crowning of Horemheb as pharaoh. The author changed some historical facts to fit her narrative of the story, but I found it very enjoyable and engaging. She did a wonderful job of bringing all the characters to life, from Ahkenaten, Smenkhare and Tutankhamun and on through Ay and Horemheb, all told through the eyes of Ankhesenamun, one of the daughters of Ahkenaten. Because of this, you also get to see a behind the scenes look at the lives of the women involved, especially in the characters of her sisters.

King Tut and his wife, Ankhesenamun

It was richly woven through with the sights, sounds and smells of the period which painted such a vivid picture in my mind, that I felt as if I were a part of the story. I also liked the way the author ended the story and hoped that maybe it ended that way in their real life and gave some of the characters a measure of peace.

This book was quite long, coming in at 734 pages, but the journey was well worth it.

Highly recommended for all historical fiction fans.