Spiders galore!

Spiderstalk - D. Nathan Hilliard

First off, this is the synopsis to this book: "Life hasn't been kind to Adam lately.

In the past year he has broken up with his fiancee, barely survived a terrible car wreck, and had his brother's family vanish while he lay unconscious in the hospital. The only thing he has left of them is a frantic call in his cell phone's voice messages, along with the blurry photo of a spider. Since then he has been a crippled shell going through the motions of life with nothing but the search for his brother to keep him going.
But Adam is about to find out that things can still take a turn for the worse. Much worse.
His quest for his brother has brushed up against a very dark corner of the world and something has come out of that darkness with an unholy vengeance. Something unbelievable. He can't fight it, he can't hide from it, and not even the police can protect him as his world descends into chaos.
His only hope lies in a mysterious pair of strangers who have appeared out of nowhere with an offer of aid. But they have their own agenda, and his survival may not be their top priority. Now Adam must keep his wits about him and learn to believe in himself again as events send him on a collision course with a monster more horrific than he ever dreamed possible."

The most important thing to know: I HATE SPIDERS!  The little ones are bad enough, but then you've got these:

But then this book comes along and you not only have all of the above, but also spiders the size of this:

(This one is actually a crab, but it looks like a spider so I think you get the point), but then the spiders get bigger and well, this book went into "OH, HELL NO" territory. It was a decent tale, if a tad too long (434 pages!), but it kept my interest. It flowed well and there are some vivid scenes with the spiders that were nerve wracking. Seriously, I read some of this book outside on the patio and anytime a bug got close to me, I freaked out!

I also enjoyed the description of the tribes woven in with some Native American folklore and a tribal war that has been going on for centuries. The only thing that got on my nerves was the constant whiny, "oh poor is me-I am so pathetic- no one is going to want me" attitude of the main character, Adam. Frankly, I wanted to punch the guy and tell him to man up!

In conclusion, I am giving this one a spider-stomping 3 1/2 stars. Those with arachnophobia need not apply.