A fantastic "coming of age" tale

Cropsy - David Lee Veroux

Loved this book! I loved the writing, the story, the way it was told.

This story is told in 2 alternate timelines. The first takes place in the mid-1930's when a retreat for rich boys is built by a man who wanted other boys to keep his son, Ethan, company. He buys up lots of land in the Catoctin area of Maryland from the existing farmers for this. Except there is one holdout, the Crosby family. This sparks a rage in Ethan, who tries to get the family to leave the land in a series of escalating attacks despite warnings that the family may be more than what they seem. In one extreme act, Ethan's actions give rise to consequences that echo thoughout the years of Camp Aerie.

This leads us to the other story taking place in the 1980's and it's main character, Billy Powell. You will follow Billy to when he first attends camp and through several years after, and will witness not only camp life through his eyes, but several incidences which baffle the campers and some call the Cropsy curse.

That's all I am going to say about it because I don't really want to give too much away. This book reminded me so much of the movie Stand By Me and the book, Boy's Life. The way the author vividly wrote about camp life just came alive for me. Some reviewers thought the book was too long, but I wasn't bored for one minute. The alternating timelines (it alternated in chapters) wasn't confusing in the least and I actually liked that it was set up that way. The two stories do end up coming together to a satisfying end.

Anyway, I am going to quit writing before I sound like I am babbling. I'm not very good at this, but I wanted to give kudos to this author. He should keep writing.

Highly recommended!