A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story - Linda Sue Park

I read this book mainly because my son had to read it for school, so I read it with him.

Water. We have it in such abundance that we often take it for granted. In this story, told in two narratives, one set in 2008 and the other in 1985, we have Nya, who has to walk for eight hours every day, twice a day just to get water.

Then there is Salva, who left his village in 1985 when fighting broke out amongst rebels and he left his village to hide. For many long years he wandered in groups or by himself, walked hundreds of miles, landing in different refugee camps and enduring many hardships, before being picked to go live with a family in America. There he goes to school and starts a project which will take him back to the country of his birth and where his story meets up with Nya's.

It was a quick read but gives a very powerful message and the ending left me with a smile on my face. At times heartbreaking, this was also a heartwarming story that shows the strengths of each character and their will to live.

Now my son has to go and write a report about it. I don't... :)