Compelling!

Dead Mountain: The Untold True Story of the Dyatlov Pass Incident - Donnie Eichar

I first heard about this mystery sometime last year when someone posted something about it on Facebook. I was fascinated with this mystery and read what I could find online and have watched several documentaries about it. With that in mind:

The author did an outstanding job with the research for this book, going so far as to hiking the trail taken by the fateful group so long ago. Besides all of the information gathered, he also did a phenomenal job in bringing the lives of the 9 hikers (originally 10), to life by testimony gathered from family, friends and witnesses.

The mystery is not so much in how they met their fateful end, but why they chose to leave the comfort and safety of their tent to go out in the dark in sub-zero temperatures without shoes and adequate clothing. The author goes over several theories that have cropped up over the years, but the final theory that is presented also seems the most plausible, which makes their story all the more haunting, terrifying and sad.

I thought the author did a wonderful job following their story and it was very respectful. It was nice getting to know them how they were in life so as not to be remembered so much for their tragic end. He includes photographs of them as they were in life and leaves out much of the the most disturbing ones (that you can find online).

I highly recommend this book, especially if you love mysteries and the unexplained.