The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan

The Tiger Queens: The Women of Genghis Khan - Stephanie  Thornton I have been a fan of this author ever since her first book, A Secret History: A Novel of Empress Theodora, and while books set in ancient Rome are my absolute favorite, I was really looking forward to learning about a time in history of which I know little about and I was not disappointed. Stephanie has a talent for bringing history to life in the way she vividly portrays her characters and brings the details of a culture and settings to life which leaves one captivated all the way to the end of the book.

This is the story was written in 4 parts, each told from a viewpoint of a woman who was a part of Ghengis Khan's legacy: Borte- his first wife and love of his life, Alaqui- one of their daughters, Fatima- a Persian captive and Sorkhokhtani- his daughter in-law. I was fascinated with the story of each of these women and their role in the life and legacy of a man whose invasions resulted in the conquests of most of Eurasia.
It starts from Temujin's humble beginning and goes through his rise as leader of the Mongols and eventual death, all told through the eyes of these four women. It was a hard and oftentimes, brutal life. I even found myself disgusted with some of their practices, but it was impossible to forget that they were all too human and trying to do their best to survive in their situations.

I highly recommend this book! You will learn to appreciate these women and come away with a better understanding of what life was like during that time period. Stephanie Thornton has become one of my favorite authors and I will always look forward to the release of her books with anticipation.